[evlatests] Friday data, X-band

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 28 13:35:34 EST 2006

    The Friday, 24 March dataset is of 6-hour duration, so even though
one EVLA antenna
was absent (13), there is much useful information.

    The dominant effect in the monitor data was steady drop in Tsys for
nearly all
antennas.  This is undoubtedly due to the aftereffects of the site-wide
power failure which
occured shortly before the run began.

    Antenna gain stability is very good for all antennas -- other than
slow effects clearly
related to the continuously changing Tsys.  The overall stability (rms
stability is better than
0.5 % for nearly all antennas) is in marked contrast to the peculiar
gain changes (occuring
on timescales of minutes, with amplitude of a few to over 10 %) seen in
both the Saturday and Monday databases.   I have no ready explanation
for why.

    The ~5 hours' observation of 3C84 gave a very nice map -- after
standard self-cal
and editing, a dynamic range of nearly 100,000 was obtained.  The
resulting model
(the source is slightly resolved) allows a careful look at closure.  The
results are:
       *  The intra-EVLA antennas (14, 16, 18 -- antenna 13 was
unfortunately out) show
consistent closure errors between themselves of ~1.0% in amplitude
only.  They give
too high a visibility, when calibrated against VLA antennas.
       *  VLA baselines show a maximum closure of about 0.3%, probably
due to thermal
noise.

    We might speculate that the EVLA closure is due to bandpass
mismatches, as seen in
continuum.  But these data were taken in spectral line mode, with a
careful bandpass
calibration.  We should see no errors due to bandpass mismatches!