[evlatests] Antennas 13, 14, 16 and 18 at X-band

Jim Jackson jjackson at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 28 11:28:34 EST 2006

The main 128MHz oscillator in the L350 is phase locked to the 5MHz signal
directly from the maser. Due to this odd combination of frequencies, the
internal PLL in this oscillator contains several digital dividers. We do
not know the exact makeup of these dividers (though we can guess) and do
not have access to them for synchronization.  If the 5MHz from the maser is
interrupted, it will cause this oscillator to drop out of lock. When the
5MHz is restored and the oscillator  re-locks, the ambiguity in these
dividers almost certainly will cause a phase jump that will affect all EVLA
antennas with respect to the VLA.

This brings up another thing people need to note - The EVLA LO system is
currently connected by a single cable directly to a 5MHz output on the back
of the maser. If the VLA is switched from the maser to a backup reference
in the VLA master rack, the EVLA system does not automatically follow it.

Jim