[evlatests] Antennas 13, 14, 16 and 18 at X-band

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Mar 27 22:41:36 EST 2006

    I used my available time to do deep integrations at X-band, where we
have four EVLA antennas, on a strong point source, 3C84, to monitor
stability and closure.   Having four antennas is important, as this
allows a solution independent of the VLA antennas, and allows an
independent estimate of non-closing errors -- gain fluctuations which
are not factorable into antenna gains.
    Unhappily, the Friday time (3 hours) had only 3 EVLA antennas
working, due to the massive power failure.  And the Saturday time (6
hours!) had only 3 EVLA antennas working due to antenna 18 having an
inoperative L302.
    Ken was generous enough to give me two hours of his software time
today, and for this we had four working EVLA antennas.   Data were taken
in IFs A and C, parallel hands only, with 64 channels per corrrelation,
6.25 MHz BW, giving a resolution of 97 kHz.  This was sufficient to
resolve out the sharp baseband filter edge, nicely eliminating the
'Gibbs Ringing' which figured prominently in earlier messages.
Averaging was at 5 seconds.

    Results:

    1) Stability.

    No drops and phase oddities were seen, except that all four EVLA
antennas jumped 150 degrees in phase
(w.r.t the VLA antenna phases) during an 8-minute gap in my observations
which occurred around 19:35 IAT.  I didn't get a log from the operator,
but received a message about this time saying something was changed.
Barry was at the site of the time, perhaps he can provide some insight
here.  Otherwise, phase behavior was normal.

    Amplitude stability varies:

    For both today's run, and Saturday's long run, antenna 13's
amplitude stability was fantastic, with pk-pk variations of 0.5%, and no
trends visible.  Indeed, the stability is so much better than *any*
other antenna, EVLA or VLA, that I'm actually worried, although I'm not
sure what I should worry about ...
    Antennas 16 and 18 are also very stable, but the overall gain
dropped slowly throughout the two hours, but ~3% and 1% respectively.
    Antenna 14 is unstable at the 2 to 4% level, with sudden changes in
gain ocurring for now obvious reason.  Some of these are reflected in
Tsys changes, most are not.  Something not quite right is going on here.
    In general, the VLA antennas showed many gain peculiar changes,
especially on Saturday, where amplitude drops up to 10% (!) were noted
on some antennas.  The weather was dry and breezy, but we cannot account
for these changes by invoking a wind.     All VLA antennas showed odd
(and slow) drops, with no visible correlation between them.  No
corresponding effects in Tsys were noted.  The array was acting like
there was some cold absorber up there, which mysteriously avoided
antenna 13!   I personally think there's a more mundane explanation, but
can't think of one offhand.

    Bandpass stability was excellent on all EVLA antennas.  At least as
good as VLA antennas.

nearly all VLA antennas.  Antenna
14C is notably worse, and its Tsys value is 50% too high.  Sounds like a
troubled receiver.

    Closure.  Some worries here.  The EVLA antennas show closure at the
1.5% level, in amplitude.  They do this with the VLA antennas, and with
each other when separated out.  Although it's possible this is due to
real structure, I think it unlikely, as similar VLA baselines don't show
excessive or deficient amplitudes.  However, there are similar sized
closure errors on VLA-only baselines.  We know 3C84 is very slightly
resolved at this resolution, but the sharpness in the resulting
visibility changes argue that the closure, if due to structure, is not
related to the source itself, but would originate from a large angle.
Unlikely, in my view.  But not impossible.

    Chasing the closure issue would require much longer integrations on
very simple sources.  This will have to wait.  Better ideas will be
gratefully entertained.