[evlatests] Ant 16 P-Band generated C-Band birdie

Charles Kutz ckutz at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Feb 22 18:40:56 EST 2006

Well,
Although we cured the X-Band birdie in P-Band unit on antenna 16, it now
has a C-Band birdie. Unplugging the P-Band got rid of the birdie. I am
sending out a replacement P-Band tomorrow (Thursday), the replacement
unit is verified to be birdie free.
The P-Band in 16 was my first birdie hunting experience, since that time
I have flushed out birdies in the S, C and X Bands. Evidently the fix
for the X-band birdie was not effective at lower frequencies.
I understand the mechanism that causes the oscillations and do have a
fix. Frankly, as we upgrade the antennas, I will be surprised if we find
a P-Band unit that does not oscillate in the aforementioned bands.

Chuck Kutz