[evlatests] antenna 13 out of service

Rob Long rlong at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 18 20:30:37 EDT 2006

Antenna 13 had the electricians working on the AC power problem for a
good part of the afternoon.  While working, they must have dropped power
to everything for awhile (including DC power).  The L305 was out of sync
thus causing the DTS modules to have incorrect timing (19.2).  I reset
everything (see the procedure described below) and told the operator
that antenna 13 looked reasonable again.  The delays are probably still
sad though.

To determine if the timing is good after a failure, the first thing to
do is perform an L305 'sync_enable=1' (and after sync is good
'sync_enable=0') to ensure timing is sync'd with the VLA.  If you then
monitor the D30X 'Tic_period' you should read 0x196EXX (the last two
digits will vary from module to module.)  If you do not read this value,
the FPGA generating timing in the DTS module needs to be reset.  By
performing a 'PscReset=1', the FPGA will reload as a result of the power
reset and the 'Tic_period' should now read correctly.  The '8bit_Status'
value should also read 0x5F (this indicates that the digitizers are off.)

Once the timing is correct, then the 'FormSwitch' can be turned on.
While watching the deformatter statistics for the appropriate levels,
verify that 'FOR_Pwr0', 'FOR_Pwr1', and 'FOR_Pwr2' are in the 900 range
(slightly less or usually greater) and that 'DFM_PErr0', 'DFM_PErr1',
'DFM_PErr2' are all equal to 0.  If any of these points are incorrect,
try performing a 'FormReset' on the D30X.  Sometimes it takes more than
one reset to get the correct values.

Once the deformatter values look good, turn the D30X '8bitSwitch' on,
check the D30X '8bit_Status' to read '0xC0', and verify rms levels in
the deformatter.  Occasionally, the 'FormReset' will have to be set
again to achieve the proper levels.

Whenever I feel that I need to perform a 'PscReset', I shut down the
'8bitSwitch' and then the 'FormSwitch'.  This procedure has served me
well for quite a while and seems to be the safest way to reset a D30X
module (DTS).

Rob