[evlatests] Holography phase clue

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 18 01:05:34 EDT 2006

Rick has reported unusual phase behavior of at least two kinds in
holography data on EVLA to VLA baselines only.  Clearly either the VLA or
the EVLA is misbehaving, but which?  I learned a couple of interesting
things:

I took 30 minutes of data ~5:30 to 6:00 PM this evening in a "hybrid" mode
where the VLA antennas (excepting reference antennas 6, 9, and 12)
participated in a series of raster scans, entirely within the primary
beam.  All of the available EVLA antennas ran a different script which
made them behave like reference antennas (ie, they pointed at the
holography source with zero offset the entire time).  An integration time
of 0.4 seconds was used.  Rasters all went through the center of the beam
and alternated directions.

The EVLA to Reference antenna baselines have _no_ phase jumps and have
steady amplitudes of 0.5 bogoJy, the same as VLA-VLA baselines.

Oddly enough, however, I did see phase jumps on antenna 4!  There were 8
phase jumps in 30 minutes: 6 during the 20 minutes on calibrator scans and
2 during the 10 minutes of raster; none correspond to scan changes.  All 4
IFs jump together.  IFs A/C jump always between two states about 90
degrees apart.  IFs B/D have a different sized jump, but again between two
states.  I _think_ this is a different issue than Rick's, but he should
compare his phase jumps against other reference antennas!

The correlator apparently only wants to dump baselines that have exactly
one reference antenna.  Under the conditions of this experiment the
correlator thought the EVLA antennas were not reference antennas, so a
slightly unexpected variety of baselines were omitted during the
holography scans.  This means that if we attempt to do EVLA-only
holography, or VLA holography using an EVLA reference antenna the EVLA
reference antennas will need to be added to the list of reference antennas
in the ROT files (and I'm not sure that's enough to make it work).
Perhaps we'll graduate from the VLA system before this is necessary.

I've put VPLOTs of uncalibrated data on various baselines on the EVLA
tests page:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/evla-internal/techdocs/tests/testresults/20060817.wb/

-Walter