[evlatests] X-band birdies

David Sevilla dsevilla at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 10 10:13:07 EDT 2006

I am writing this message to report some new findings.
The setup was as follows:

Antenna 14
standard X-band:         8268.10 MHz to 9292.10 MHz
IFs  A and B
channel bandwidth = 65 kHz

I found a single channel always at the frequency 9140.1 (152.0 MHz from
the edge) to be above a threshold level of about 1.5 dB's above the noise
level for about 42%(+/- 10%) of the time. The mean value for that channel
was 6 dB's (+/- .5%) above the normal level.  The rest of the channels did
not show any similar behavior. The rest of the channels were only above
that threshold for about 3% (+/- 1%) of the time which is normal.

This is the first I've seen of this behavior.  Walter and I do not know
the origin of this signal

David Sevilla