[evlatests] report on Q band observations from last Saturday

Claire Chandler cchandle at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Apr 20 18:59:11 EDT 2006

Last Saturday I requested all available EVLA antennas for a Q-band
observation including PT, so I was given antennas 13 and 14.  This was a
spectral line observation of a very strong SiO maser, using 5-second
integrations.

There were no fringes on any VLA-EVLA baseline.

There were weak fringes on baseline 13-14, lower by around a factor of 4-5
compared with a VLA baseline of a similar length (although note that this
is on a maser source that is not necessarily point-like, so I cannot yet
exclude the possibility that some of this is due to source structure).

Phases on the VLA baselines were typical for the troposphere with these
long baselines at this time of year.  On baseline 13-14, however, there
was a very fast phase winding, approx 1 turn/minute.

The maser line is clear in the autocorrelation spectra of both antenna 13
and 14, although weaker than VLA antennas, suggesting pointing could be
another problem.  Are we sure that the pointing solutions are being
applied to the EVLA antennas?

Claire