[evlatests] More notes from April 11

Jim Jackson jjackson at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Apr 11 19:11:30 EDT 2006

Antenna 13 - Mike just made me a set of plots from 13's deformatters while
the antenna was in x-band.  The IF-D plot shows what appears to be the
normal response for the Sampler and DTS but shows a lack of the normal
small spurious signals we see in the other three IF's.  Also, Barry
mentions seeing little effect when changing attenuator settings.  The last
time I saw behavior like this, a power cycle of the T304/T305 was required
to fix it.  I will have someone do this and check things out tomorrow.

Antenna 14 is showing some occasional misbehavior in two DTS modules - IF'C
went away for Barry, IF-B has logged parity errors on the optical
link.  Jerry and Leon reset clock levels into the L302 yesterday but did
not recheck levels into the DTS and other modules.  If DTS clocks are low
by a similar amount it could cause occasional erratic behavior in these
modules. Tomorrow, someone will recheck and set all levels from the new
L305 to the other modules in Antenna 14.

Antenna 16 - The issue with the L302's occasionally getting into this bad
state is known and hopefully will be taken care of by the new firmware.  It
seems to happen when the MIB loses control of one of the DDS chips -
apparently the control loop device in Barry's case today. For some reason
the module does not go into standby when this happens.  Usually, one MIB
reboot fixes it but on rare occasions additional MIB rebooting or a power
cycle is required. This is the same state I found one of Antenna 14's
L302's in the other day.

Antenna 18 - We will look for a possible cabling problem in IF-C.  The FFT
plot from the Deformatter shows ripple that could potentially be caused by
a connector or cable issue. Since we turned this antenna on, I have seen a
few comments that IF-C is not as good as IF-A.

Jim