[evlatests] Antennas 13 and 14 Status

Jim Jackson jjackson at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Apr 10 16:01:53 EDT 2006

Antenna 14:  Jerry and Leon did verify that, as suspected, the 128MHz input
power to the L302's was low by about 3dB due to the production L305 that
was installed last week.  All production units are trimmed to have the
identical output power but apparently the prototype unit had slightly
higher output power.   They readjusted the levels and resync'ed everything.
Based on past experience, this was just low enough to cause erratic
operation of the L302. Please try using the antenna to see if correcting
this helped the IF B & D issue. Hopefully, this antenna is fixed now. If
not, we will have to remove the L302-2 synthesizer for testing.

Antenna 13:  They tried replacing the L302-2 with the second unit from
Antenna 18 (which was sitting in the rack powered off). Unfortunately, it's
MIB would not come up on the network with module ID.  They are bringing
both units back for repair.  After a short discussion with Rick, we decided
to leave both Antennas 13 & 18 functioning with IF's A & C rather than
breaking antenna 18 to fix antenna 13. So right now Antenna 13 does not
have B & D IF's. We will try to fix one of the synthesizers and get it back
out there tomorrow or Wednesday.

Jerry also discovered a timing cable was not connected to the L302-1 in
Antenna 13. This would certainly have caused some problems with IF's A & C
and has now been fixed.  You may want to try running this antenna to see
what effect this had. If both synthesizers were not working, it could
explain the results from the weekend.

Jim