[evlatests] EVLA Cable Wraps

Tom Frost tfrost at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Apr 5 08:58:52 EDT 2006

All credit & kudos should go to Steve Tenorio for recognizing
a problem with our procedure we use when changing arms....seems
the EVLA is a little more unforgiving because of the fiber....
I am told that of the 4 EVLA antennas, 2 were safe as is...but
the other 2 were definitely in danger of having the fibers literally
'ripped out' of the cable wrap...

Steve came up with a procedure to "fix" this & has verified it
on all 4 EVLA antennas...he also took the initiative in informing
OPS that they were not safe to use until we had a chance to inspect
them...we will use his procedure until the new proximity-sensor
based Lead/Lag switches have been tested & installed...

Tom

Jim Jackson wrote:
> Tom,
>
> There is no need for you guys to apologize for anything.  In fact, I
> would say kudos are in order to the Servo Group for recognizing a
> potential problem and taking fast action to make sure nothing got
> damaged.  I would encourage all to react in this way and raise the red
> flag immediately if they see anything they believe to be dangerous to
> personnel or equipment. A little inconvenience is a small price to pay -
> had this fiber been damaged in one or more antennas, it would have been
> expensive and time consuming to fix.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Tom Frost