[evlatests] EVLA tests, Sept 8 2005

Jim Jackson jjackson at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Sep 8 19:44:01 EDT 2005

I am having Jerry Langevin go to the site tomorrow (Friday) morning to do a
complete power cycle on the LO/IF racks and DTS modules in both
antennas.  It sounds like the DTS modules in Antenna 14 were started today
when the L305 in the antenna was out of sync.  In a discussion I just had
with Kerry Shores, neither of us is convinced that the current set of DTS
modules would follow suit when the L305 is resynced so we have no idea what
those modules may be doing.  Antenna 16's fiber was also worked on earlier
in the week which could have upset the timing in that antenna as well.  The
only way I know to be sure is to shut everything off, then turn on the
LO/IF rack,  sync the L305, then finally power up the DTS modules.  I think
the new FPGA and MIB firmware that is being developed for the DTS module
will take care of this in the future.

Steve Durand and I are also looking at adding additional surge protection
to the 48VDC supply to the Vertex room.  Hopefully that will help prevent
problems like occurred on Wednesday evening.

Jim