[evlatests] Results from Friday, 21 Oct.

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Sat Oct 22 18:47:51 EDT 2005

    I had a four hour run early Friday morning.  Given the recent successes
in stabilizing the phase and amplitude (other than the annoying short
drops),
I thought a deep integration on a single object might now be useful.  Hence,
I spent half the time doing a continuum observation (at 400 ms sampling),
and the other half a spectral line integration (with 3.3 s sampling).
The latter
was with 12.5 MHz BW, mode 4, at X-band.

    The data from the EVLA antennas are worthless.  Antenna 14 gave no
correlation whatever in any IF.  Antenna 16 gave stable amplitudes (with
the 10-second interval drops, as usual), but the phases were found to be
winding throughout at the remakable rate of 1 turn every 2 seconds.  (If
I hadn't run the integration at 400 msec, I'd have concluded both antennas
were dead).

    I have no idea why the data are bad.  Bob, Lisa and I were in antenna
14 prior to this run, but we thought we had left it in a useable state.
    Other work was done in 16 by others -- I don't know what state the
antenna was in at the end of the day.

    Pity.