[evlatests] Further results from fast continuum data

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Oct 3 15:08:28 EDT 2005

    I have now checked for evidence of the 'quantized' gain structure
that we saw
last week on 14B.  No evidence of any gain preference was seen.  The problem
(whatever it was) appears to have gone.   We have, however, another one to
replace it.  The gain of 14B appears to have a very slight time
variability --
about 2% pk-to-pk, with a 40 second period.

    I also ran PCAL, the polarization calibration program, on the
dataset.  The
soutions are excellent, with nothing to distinguish EVLA from VLA antennas.
This is expected, as the receivers/feeds at X-band are the same as the
VLA.

    I also affirm the sensitivity results given in my last circular --
antenna 14 is
almost as good as the best VLA antennas (no more than 10% worse in
sensitivity) on the x-baselines with VLA antennas.  Antenna 16 is definitely
noisier -- about 30% more than good VLA antennas against common good
VLA antennas.  I am hoping that this is due to pointing ...