[evlatests] Test targets

Walter Brisken wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Dec 19 17:21:43 EST 2005

Sorry -- delete my last message -- I sent the old version.  Here is the
current one:

-W

Below is a list of EVLA technical issues that need attention.  This
is mainly intended as a guide for testing but also illustrates some
interdependencies between issues.  The "High Priority" issues are
those that directly affect performance in the transition period.

High Priority
-------------
* T304 MIB stability
  	- find the problem
  		- could be memory corruption in the MIB
  		- the TC11ib processor may be voltage starved
 		- hint that high command rate exposes the problem
  	- continue long term monitoring both in lab and antenna
* Verify beam pattern is reasonable
  	- beam cuts at various bands/frequencies
  	- holography mode rasters
* Deformatter level settings
  	- output attenuator selection and/or clean up power supply noise
  	- determine optimum Gain parameter and T304 attenuator levels
  		- through internal software feedback loop?
 		- to match DAC output to T4 input
  	- software for (quasi-)realtime verification of settings
 	- wait for hardware to stabilize before expending much effort
* Deformatter comes up in 1 of 4 states
 	- a fix is known ?, testing?
* P-band
* Long baseline issues ?
* T304 total power detector testing
 	- Feb06 time scale
* RFI testing of internet appliances
* L302 phase jumps upon large retuning
 	- problem isolated
 	- wait for firmware update (early January) for fix
* CALC integration and refraction/zenith phase calculation
  	- verify that VLA and EVLA antennas get consistent corrections
* Test for elevation dependent delays
 	- wait for K term, RT phase, and refraction
* Verify long term phase stability
 	- wait for RT phase measurements for multi-hour tests
* Other pointing related issues
 	- PEEK to test refraction/zenith path corrections
 	- how to handle tilts
* Referenced pointing mode implementation
 	- Jan06 ?

Longer Term (incomplete)
* Wide-band senstivity
* 3-bit digitizer checkout