[evlatests] List of test targets

Walter Brisken wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Dec 19 17:20:21 EST 2005

Below is a list I've been maintaining tracking EVLA test targets.  If
while I'm out of town (Dec 21 to Jan 25) someone else wants to maintain
this that'd be great.  I'll be available via email during my absense most
of the time.

-W

Below is a list of EVLA technical issues that need attention.  This
is mainly intended as a guide for testing but also illustrates some
interdependencies between issues.  The "High Priority" issues are
those that directly affect performance in the transition period.

High Priority
-------------
* T304 MIB stability [Whiteis]
  	- find the problem
  		- could be memory corruption in the MIB
  		- the TC11ib processor may be voltage starved
  	- continue long term monitoring both in lab and antenna
* T304 out-of-band rejection [?]
 	- for C, K bands determine aliased power as func of 1st LO
 	  setting and choose sensible defaults
  	- replace incorrect filter (long term -- months)
  		- verify that this filter replacement fixes the problem
* Verify beam pattern is reasonable [Brisken?]
  	- beam cuts at various bands/frequencies
  	- holography mode rasters
* Deformatter level settings [Sowinski/Brisken]
  	- output attenuator selection and/or clean up power supply noise
  	- determine optimum Gain parameter and T304 attenuator levels
  		- through internal software feedback loop?
 		- to match DAC output to T4 input
  	- software for (quasi-)realtime verification of settings
 	- wait for hardware to stabilize before expending much effort
* Deformatter comes up in 1 of 4 states
 	- a fix is known, testing?
* P-band
* Long baseline issues ?
* T304 total power detector testing
 	- Feb06 time scale
* RFI testing of internet appliances [Dhawan]
* Do LOs return to same phase after retuning? [?]
* CALC integration and refraction/zenith phase calculation [?]
  	- verify that VLA and EVLA antennas get consistent corrections
* Test for elevation dependent delays [Walker?]
 	- wait for K term, RT phase, and refraction
* Verify long term phase stability [?]
 	- wait for RT phase measurements for multi-hour tests
* Other pointing related issues [Sowinski?]
 	- PEEK to test refraction/zenith path corrections
 	- how to handle tilts
* Referenced pointing mode implementation
 	- Jan06 ?

Longer Term (incomplete)
* Wide-band senstivity [Perley?]
* 3-bit digitizer checkout [Brisken?]