[evlatests] EVLA tests, Aug 22 2005

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Aug 22 18:37:28 EDT 2005

                              EVLA Tests
                            August 22, 2005

When I realized that Rich was no longer working, I asked the
operator to abort the script they were running so that I could
do other work.  When I started a script to look at 3C273 I found
that the antenna was still getting commands to go somewhere else.
These extra commands only went away when I asked to operator
to kill the process in which Rich's executor was running.  It
appears that there are still problems in getting the whole thing
to shut down cleanly.

The goal was to get 14 working today.  While the electronics crew
were at 14, antenna 16 was checked out.  The updated pointing
parameters did not appear to have hurt it to badly.  The loss
of fringes at C band for IFS B and D was tracked to a SW problem:
no command was begin generated to L301-2 and it just happened to
be set to the correct frequency for default BD L band.

After a while 14 was declared usable with AC.  B did not work because
the downconverter that was dead last week, OK on the bench, still
did not work in the antenna.  The DTS module for D did not seem to
be able to generate a bitstream that would keep the deformatter happy.

All the usual bands worked on antenna 14 except, as usual, the
polarizations were swapped at K band.  The fact that K band had
a strong signal is a confirmation that pointing had not changed
since 14 was last used.  Delays were set for IFs A and C at all
bands; for historical reasons different changes were required
at each of the bands.

The remainder of the time was used to take long integrations at
each of the bands using 1-2/3 second continuum.  It might be possible
to learn something from the crossed hand products between 14 and 16.

2107  Start X band track
2140  Stop

2143  Start C band.  My impression is that the amplitudes are not
                     very stable; especially for IF C.
2204  Stop

2205  Start L band
2230  Stop