[Difx-users] Running DiFX

Adam Deller adeller at astro.swin.edu.au
Fri Mar 17 20:42:06 EDT 2017

Hi Sam,

if you run startdifx it will by default regenerate the .machines and
.threads files using genmachines.  If you've already made those by hand and
don't want that to happen, then you need to run startdifx -n (the -n means
don't re-run genmachines).  That should get you started.

For getting things going properly,
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/vlbi/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/difx/difxuserguide.pdf
has lots of information on how to get genmachines working (basically, you
need to populate a cluster description file and point the environment
variable $DIFX_MACHINES at it).

Cheers,
Adam

On 18 March 2017 at 01:49, Hagatiana Andrianomena <handrianomena at ska.ac.za>
wrote:

> Hi DIFX-Users
>
> It is the first time I am using the software and started to learn by doing
> some tests using the example data "rdv70.tar" from the wiki page. I am
> using DIFX-trunk. I just followed the instructions of the readme file in
> the tarball. Everything went OK up to step 3 where:
>
> - when running startdifx (as per the readme file) it complained about not
> finding genmachine
> - then I tried to run "genmachine.py" but it also complained about the
> format of the "machinefile" it needs. we struggled to get the right
> format, although I just followed the example from the wiki, so
> - edited the .machines and .threads by just modifying the ones from the
> example data.
> - when running startdifx, it does not complain but it looks like it takes
> long time without doing anything so I had to stop it.
> - when I checked the generated files, we found that .machines and .threads
> files were no longer there.
>
> I would appreciate if you could please help me.
>
> Regards,
> Sam

Dr. Adam Deller
ARC Future Fellow, Senior Lecturer
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology
John St, Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
phone: +61 3 9214 5307
fax: +61 3 9214 8797