[daip] Weighting of the UV data

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 27 15:27:30 EDT 2017

On 09/27/2017 11:54 AM, Feng Gao wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> Sorry to bother you with more AIPS related questions.
>
> I wonder how should I assign the weight for each UV point data properly? I looked at some VLBI data and noticed the weight for "Amp" and "Phas" is around 1, and the weight for Real and Imaginary part are 10.
>
> Right now I calculated the weight as 1/(2*amp_err^2), here the amp_err is the error in the fringe amplitude measurements. It is between 0 and 1, so the weight I got are much larger and didn't show up properly in AIPS. I only see something like ********* in PRTUV. So I'm not sure if my weight calculation is okay.
>
> Attached is my sample data, for your reference.

The FITS file says that the RA is

3996.252269922912

degrees.  That cannot be what you intended.

PRTUV has options in DPARM if the parameter ends up as ***.
Set DPARM(2)=9999 and you will see that your weights are between 1000
and 4000.  We use 1/(amp_err^2) although maybe the 1/2 is also
appropriate.  The weights printed by tasks do not change between
real/imaginary and amp/phase.  The scaling of the display may however be
misleading.  Your weights suggest an amp error of 0.011 to 0.022.

ERic Greisen