[daip] GPS-AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 14 15:25:29 EDT 2017

On 09/14/2017 10:46 AM, DINIL BOSE wrote:
> Sir
>
> Thank you for your kind reply. Do you have a sample of GPS-ASCII to
> use in task LDGPS. I am currently working with GMRT data. We have done
> an observation in GALACTIC PLANE. Due to galactic emission(I hope)
> there are ripples in the image. Large patches precisely. And they are
> of the order of our source. We are looking at HII region. Is there any
> method to do good imaging with  Galactic emission. Once again thank
> your for patience.

I am sorry but I was unaware of these tasks until I went looking for
them because of your question.  I would assume that the files are ones
that could be downloaded from sites that measure them - certainly not
something you would have to type in by hand.  There is quite a
description in the explain file but it would have been nice if the
example given were more complete.  Sadly the person who wrote and
documented this task stopped working for us in 2000.

Your question about the Galactic plane is a quite different subject.  I
would expect that what you are seeing are the effects of large-scale
emission which may not be properly measured doe to the lack of very
short spacings.  Sometimes multi-scale Clean (in IMAGR) helps with this,
but sometimes not.