[daip] slow flagging

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 13 10:57:03 EDT 2017

On 09/11/2017 05:49 PM, Marina Kounkel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve recently set up aips on a new 27” iMac machine, and I ran into a weird issue - when I run editr, the flagging is ridiculously slow - it takes several minutes to flag a time range, even just a handful of points, around 2 orders of magnitude slower than usual. Additionally, the font of all the commands is about twice as large compared how I am used to seeing them (even on similar-sized displays). Other TV-related issues don’t seem to be affected - the plotting of all the data happens at reasonable speed, at least. When I ssh into the machine, though, and run everything remotely, using local display, I don’t have this issue. I was wondering if you have any thoughts about any display settings that could be tweaked a bit to speed it up a bit.
>
> Thanks,
> Marina

The verb charmult controls the size of the characters on the TV screen
and particularly large TVs start with the multiplier set greater than 1.

TV behavior does slow down with really large screens (and small pixels)
but getting normal behavior for plotting and yet having EDITR go way
slow is strange.  Looking at the code for time range, it looks through
the data array rather than checking each pixel.  So I do not see why it
should be significantly slower.  If you have a lot of data points, then
the larger number of pixels means a large number of samples at different
pixels which will slow things but not factors of 10 or 100.The AIPS TV
is controlled in pat with the $HOME/.Xdefaults file.  If you have same,
you can add AIPS XAS parameter lines or you can create one.  I would
suggest an experiment - exit your current aips killing the TV.  Edit
your .Xdefaults file and then

         xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

The lines to put in are
AIPStv*xPixels:        1270
AIPStv*yPixels:         924

to limit the size of your TV.  Choose appropriate numbers - these are
from my file and keep the TV to the size of one of my 2 screens.  Note
that this may be desirable for you too so that you have real estate for
message and input windows.  Try EDITR with the smaller screen and see if
that fixes the issue.  Otherwise go back to not limiting the size.

ERic Greisen