[daip] [!10729]: AIPS - rsync problem for linus binary installation 31DEC17

Robert Zavala nraohelp at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 25 15:43:35 EDT 2017

Robert Zavala updated #10729
----------------------------

rsync problem for linus binary installation 31DEC17

           Ticket ID: 10729
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 25 July 2017 02:30 PM
             Updated: 25 July 2017 07:43 PM
      Resolution Due: 02 August 2017 02:30 PM (7d 18h 47m)

 > I usually suggest that users try to get their system managers to
 > remove the block of rsync at least for our address. But your
 > address is navy.mil so I doubt that anything of the sort will
 > be available to you. One government user takes a computer home
 > and does the install and MNJ there and takes it back to work
 > but that user's address is not .mil so I suspect that you should
 > not try that.
 >
 > My personal copy of AIPS is actually compiled with gfortran 5.4.0
 > and works very well indeed. The gfortran 4.x had an odd bug with
 > our pseudo-AP code forcing the use of a fixed size "AP". By
 > accident, I found that the 5.x versions do not require the fixed
 > size - allowing the dynamic AP which is to be preferred. We now
 > have gfortran 6.3 and even 7.1. I guess I should try at least the 6.3.
 >
 > The install.pl procedure pauses to let you edit the compile scripts
 > FDEFAULT.SH, LDOPTS.SH and CCOPTS.SH. At that time, change them
 > from Intel compilers to whatever compiler you try. Let me know if
 > you have any trouble. The whole thing should not take too long.
 >
 > Eric Greisen

Dear Eric,

Thank you for the reply. You're right that Navy network rules won't
allow a rsync and binary installation to proceed. I will try the install from
source. I appreciate the recommendations on compilers. I will have to ask for
a new gfortran version to match your recommendations, and I suspect
that will take time for our network support staff to install for me.
My current gfortran is a 4.x version so I will not build from source
until a newer gfortran is in place. Fortunately a laptop is recently available
on which I can do a binary installation so that may be my solution.

Thank you,

Bob Zavala