[daip] AIPS installation problem: macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 27 11:35:38 EST 2017

On 02/27/2017 08:39 AM, Charitarth Vyas wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> After searching extensively solution and writing to many including AIPS
> helpdesk, I feel to seek help from you, ultimately. I am new to AIPS so
> sorry if I can't describe certain things properly.
>
> I have OSX Sierra 10.12.3 (macbook pro 13 inch). I am trying to install
> latest release of AIPS 31DEC17. I am severely stuck. I also added
> following lines in /etc/services
>
> sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
> ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
> msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
> tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
> aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
> aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
> aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
> aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
> aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4
> aipsmt5         5015/tcp        AIPSMT5
> aipsmt6         5016/tcp        AIPSMT6
> aipsmt7         5017/tcp        AIPSMT7
>

> I have attached the screenshot of the error I am getting.
>

> 1) Image not found problem
>
> 2) setenv command not found problem
>
> 3) i can't run aips at all.
>

> Could you please help me to troubleshoot this problem? If you need more information please let me know.

I do not know why your AIPS help desk message did not come to my e-mail
- it is supposed to.  This e-mail however contains much more information
and so I can be much more helpful.

1. The dyld image not found is due to necessary run-time libraries not
being available.  Mac OS from El Capitan on has required that you
execute a special script (under bash and with sudo privilege).  That
script is named fix_aips_elcap.sh and should be found several places in
your installation (copied around by install.pl).  In fact install.pl
paused at one point and told you to execute this script in another
window.  You apparently overlooked this.  Look in $AIPS_ROOT or
$SYSLOCAL for the script and say

./fix_aips_elcap.sh

and enter your password when requested to do so.

2. I do not know where you would need setenv (a tcsh / csh command).  We
do mention it places for users of that shell.  bash users simply
   export  logical=actual

3. Having fixed #1 above you will have to run some things that will have
failed toward the end of install.pl

cd $AIPS_ROOT
. LOGIN.SH
$CDTST
RUN FILAIP
8 2
RUN POPSGN
0 POPSDAT TST
<CR>

where <CR> is a simple enter when you receive a > prompt.

Then you should be able to use aips.