[daip] Fwd: Re: aips LWPLA

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:39:15 EST 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: aips LWPLA
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 10:33:27 -0700
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
To: Hongmin <hongmin.cao at foxmail.com>

On 02/09/2017 09:53 AM, Hongmin wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I meet a problem.
> I try to make several color images, using LWPLA.
>
> Here is an example for the parameter setting:
> AIPS 1: LWPLA:   Sends plot file(s) to a PostScript printer or file
> AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
> AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
> AIPS 1: INNAME     'J1420+1205'            Image name (name)
> AIPS 1: INCLASS    'ICLN'                  Image name (class)
> AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Image name (seq. #)
> AIPS 1: INDISK        1                    Disk drive #
> AIPS 1: PLVER         0                    Version # of PL file. 0=>last
> AIPS 1: INVERS        0                    PL file version #, upper
> AIPS 1:                                    limit if > PLVER
> AIPS 1: ASPMM         0                    Arc sec. per mm. 0=self scale
> AIPS 1: LPEN          3                    Pen width (dots).
> AIPS 1: RGBGAMMA   *all 0                  Gamma correction to apply
> AIPS 1: FUNCTYPE   ' '                     'NE', 'LG','NG', 'L2','N2',
> AIPS 1:                                    'SQ','NQ'
> AIPS 1:                                    else linear
> AIPS 1: DPARM      *all 0                  (1,2) Clip recorded grays
> AIPS 1:                                        before FUNCTYPE (0 to 1)
> AIPS 1:                                    (3,4) After FUNCTYPE scale
> AIPS 1:                                        by g*DPARM(3) + DPARM(4)
> AIPS 1:                                    (5) Page orientation
> AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
> #
> AIPS 1:                                        0: portrait
> AIPS 1:                                        2: landscape +90
> AIPS 1:                                        3: landscape -90
> AIPS 1:                                        else: fill page
> AIPS 1:                                    (6) Paper type, for centering
> AIPS 1:                                        0: quarto,      1: legal,
> AIPS 1:                                        2: 4x5 in Slide,3: A3,
> AIPS 1:                                        4: A4,     5: 35 mm Slide
> AIPS 1:                                        6: 11 x 17
> AIPS 1:                                        1000*X + Y -> XxY inches
> AIPS 1:                                    (7) Font type, default
> AIPS 1:                                        Helvetica-Bold (see help)
> AIPS 1:                                    (8) Font size (in points,
> AIPS 1:                                        default 13).
> AIPS 1:                                    (9) Use CMYK color out rather
> AIPS 1:                                        than RGB if > 0. Do this
> AIPS 1:                                        for journals.
> AIPS 1: OUTFILE    'PWD:J1420Lphr-2017-lobe.eps'
> AIPS 1:                                    ' ' => print/delete
> [...]

The issue is with "inkscape" not AIPS.  Perhaps you are making the
output from inkscape way too small or something.  I found another image
handling task required me to declare that I wanted to edit on a rather
large scale as I read in the file (600 dots/inch or so) or it
compromised the plot.

   But you do not need inkscape.  The AIPS PostScript files are the most
easy to understand PostScript you have ever seen.  There is even a HELP
POSTSCRIPT file in aips to make suggestions on how to add/change labels,
arrows, etc

Most people do this with a text editor and gv to confirm that it comes
out right.