[daip] aips LWPLA

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:38:49 EST 2017

On 02/09/2017 09:53 AM, Hongmin wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I meet a problem.
> I try to make several color images, using LWPLA.
>
> Here is an example for the parameter setting:
> AIPS 1: LWPLA:   Sends plot file(s) to a PostScript printer or file
> AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
> AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
> AIPS 1: INNAME     'J1420+1205'            Image name (name)
> AIPS 1: INCLASS    'ICLN'                  Image name (class)
> AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Image name (seq. #)
> AIPS 1: INDISK        1                    Disk drive #
> AIPS 1: PLVER         0                    Version # of PL file. 0=>last
> AIPS 1: INVERS        0                    PL file version #, upper
> AIPS 1:                                    limit if > PLVER
> AIPS 1: ASPMM         0                    Arc sec. per mm. 0=self scale
> AIPS 1: LPEN          3                    Pen width (dots).
> AIPS 1: RGBGAMMA   *all 0                  Gamma correction to apply
> AIPS 1: FUNCTYPE   ' '                     'NE', 'LG','NG', 'L2','N2',
> AIPS 1:                                    'SQ','NQ'
> AIPS 1:                                    else linear
> AIPS 1: DPARM      *all 0                  (1,2) Clip recorded grays
> AIPS 1:                                        before FUNCTYPE (0 to 1)
> AIPS 1:                                    (3,4) After FUNCTYPE scale
> AIPS 1:                                        by g*DPARM(3) + DPARM(4)
> AIPS 1:                                    (5) Page orientation
> AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
> #
> AIPS 1:                                        0: portrait
> AIPS 1:                                        2: landscape +90
> AIPS 1:                                        3: landscape -90
> AIPS 1:                                        else: fill page
> AIPS 1:                                    (6) Paper type, for centering
> AIPS 1:                                        0: quarto,      1: legal,
> AIPS 1:                                        2: 4x5 in Slide,3: A3,
> AIPS 1:                                        4: A4,     5: 35 mm Slide
> AIPS 1:                                        6: 11 x 17
> AIPS 1:                                        1000*X + Y -> XxY inches
> AIPS 1:                                    (7) Font type, default
> AIPS 1:                                        Helvetica-Bold (see help)
> AIPS 1:                                    (8) Font size (in points,
> AIPS 1:                                        default 13).
> AIPS 1:                                    (9) Use CMYK color out rather
> AIPS 1:                                        than RGB if > 0. Do this
> AIPS 1:                                        for journals.
> AIPS 1: OUTFILE    'PWD:J1420Lphr-2017-lobe.eps'
> AIPS 1:                                    ' ' => print/delete
> [...]

inkscape reads .eps files with ghostscript and that sometimes renders
colored images with horizontal lines unless the screen is big enough (or
the scaling is larger than the screen by a lot).  The gimp which is also
related is the program I had to tell to use a large screen when reading
PostScript.  inkscape is really for vector drawing not grey/color-scale
images.