[daip] [!9266]: AIPS - XAS TV on a remote machine.

Eric Greisen noreply at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 10 10:14:00 EST 2016

Eric Greisen updated #9266
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 14 November 2016 02:58 PM)

XAS TV on a remote machine.
---------------------------

           Ticket ID: 9266
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 10 November 2016 02:58 PM
             Updated: 10 November 2016 03:12 PM
      Resolution Due: 18 November 2016 02:58 PM (7d 23h 46m)

In the $HOME/.Xdefaults file on your machine put the line

AIPStv*useSharedMemory: 0

The you should be able to do
xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults
but the last time I tried this it did not take. I had to log out and log back in, thereby restarting XWindows. I think that XAS is confused and thinks it really is running on the display machine and so tries the shared memory. The error is in the SHM shared memory functions which are not allowed across machines.

Note that, if XAS is running on your machine and all installations use the same socket numbers, then you could say

aips tv=centos-6 tvok

and it should work using internet sockets.