[daip] [!9266]: AIPS - XAS TV on a remote machine.

Nissim Kanekar noreply at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 10 10:00:06 EST 2016

Nissim Kanekar updated #9266
----------------------------

XAS TV on a remote machine.
---------------------------

           Ticket ID: 9266
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 10 November 2016 02:58 PM
             Updated: 10 November 2016 02:58 PM
                 Due: 14 November 2016 02:58 PM (4d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 18 November 2016 02:58 PM (8d 0h 0m)

Hi Eric,

I'm trying to run AIPS (31DEC16) on one machine (Centos-7) and open the TV on my local machine (Centos-6), using tv=local:0. The MSG and TEK servers open fine, but the XAS server gives the following error:

X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  130 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
  Serial number of failed request:  29

The DISPLAY variable on the machine on which AIPS is running is set to localhost:10.0 so I don't think it's a shared memory issue, but am not sure. I also checked the /tmp area on the machine for any AIPS crashes and see nothing there (the same problem arises on using tv=local:N, where N=2,3,4,5,6).  Also, I'm having no problems with displaying the XAS from other machines in the building that are also running Centos-7 to my machine. Should mention that the AIPS on my local machine is not the same as that on the remote machine (31DEC14 on the local one and 31DEC16 on the remote one); could this be an issue ?

I see that Tony Rushton had the same problem a couple of years ago (!5552 in the daip list), and I tried the solutions mentioned there, but neither worked. Is there some other reason for this problem ?

Many thanks indeed!
Nissim