[daip] [!8370]: AIPS - IMAGR autoboxing silently fails on non-square images

Eskil Varenius do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Mon May 9 06:36:53 EDT 2016

Eskil Varenius updated #8370
----------------------------

IMAGR autoboxing silently fails on non-square images

           Ticket ID: 8370
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 09 May 2016 10:36 AM
             Updated: 09 May 2016 10:36 AM
                 Due: 11 May 2016 10:36 AM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 17 May 2016 10:36 AM (8d 0h 0m)

Hello,
I think I have a bug report on IMAGR in release 31DEC15 (haven't tried 31DEC16 yet, but will do so asap). I use the "IM2PARM" keyword to enable autoboxing of bright pixels. This works nicely except when I use non-square images. For example, if I set IMSIZE=8192, 4096 then IMAGR finds and very nicely removes emission in the left 4096x4096 pixels part of the map. The right side is however not searched. According to the documentation of IM2PARM:
       (6) The residual image is examined only in an ellipse (circle
     if IMSIZE(1) = IMSIZE(2)) of radius in X of IMSIZE(1)/2 -
     IM2PARM(6) and in Y of IMSIZE(2)/2 - IM2PARM(6).  <= 0 -> 5

This is the behaviour I would like, but I think the code is not doing this, instead it creates a circle in the left half of the image. I'd be very grateful if this could be investigated. Unfortunately I do not have a good dataset to supply for testing, since I'm working on a VLBI dataset which is quite large. But this should be easily reproducible with any dataset using IMSIZE=8192, 4096.

Best regards,
Eskil

PS. Checking the online documentation for IMAGR at http://www.aips.nrao.edu/cgi-bin/ZXHLP2.PL?IMAGR I notice that there are double entries in the documentation for IMAGPRM and IM2PARM. This may only be a cosmetic fix though, but if you have time perhaps a nice thing to check. DS