[daip] [!8171]: AIPS - REWAY

Lynn Matthews do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 16 19:34:56 EDT 2016

Lynn Matthews updated #8171
---------------------------

REWAY
-----

           Ticket ID: 8171
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 16 March 2016 11:34 PM
             Updated: 16 March 2016 11:34 PM
                 Due: 18 March 2016 11:34 PM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 24 March 2016 11:34 PM (8d 0h 0m)

While investigating the problems that led to my earlier ticket on GETJY, I skipped the use of TYAPL on my data and instead used REWAY to calibrate the weights.

I used the recommended APARM values given in the AIPS Cookbook (APARM=11,30,12,0,10,4). I have used this task before with apparent success, but discovered something that left me worried.

Initially, I forgot to flag my target source. I ran SPLIT and REWAY, then imaged. Afterward, I went back and flagged a bad antenna and repeated these steps. However, IMEAN claimed the noise in my new image was 50% higher.

I tried a similar experiment on completely unrelated data. I find that if I neglect to apply flags, the resulting image of the REWAYed data clearly looks much noisier than the case where I applied the flags, but IMEAN or IMSTAT will report that the RMS is much smaller and the entire amplitude scale is shifted.

The question I have now is whether REWAY is really giving me the right amplitude scale even when I have flagged carefully.

Lynn