[daip] [!8103]: AIPS - splat and bp tables

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 1 12:20:54 EST 2016

Eric Greisen updated #8103
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 03 March 2016 06:13 AM)

splat and bp tables
-------------------

           Ticket ID: 8103
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 01 March 2016 06:13 AM
             Updated: 01 March 2016 05:20 PM
      Resolution Due: 09 March 2016 06:13 AM (7d 12h 52m)

I am disappointed that GMRT is running such an old version of AIPS.
If there were a bug, i could not fix it in a version 2 older than anything we
have on disk.  You might comment to whoever is in charge of this that
there have been many good things added/fixed in later releases.

But I do not think that SPLAT has changed much in this regard.  It copies
no calibration tables when you run SPLAT to make a single-source file
(APARM(7) not zero).  When you first ran SPLAT, the bandpass was applied.
BPVER=-1 is treated as 0 (highest version) and DOBAND honored.  In
that case, no BP tables are copied.  If DOBAND false, then BP tables are
copied when assembling multiple sources (APARM(7)=0 on a multi-source
input file).

POSSM will do scan average spectral plots - so running POSSM on the input
to SPLAT and the output should show a change.  A trick I use is to set
DOTV=1 and use different GRCHAN values for the two plots.  If they are
identical, then the plots will show in some complementary color rather
than the two graphics plane colors.  If you use channel 1 (yellow), and 2 (green)
the overlaps are in red.  SOLINT=-1 requests scan averages in POSSM and
you might set NPLOTS = 2 or 4 so that you plot baselines separately.

So the main issue gets down to whether the input data set was multi-source
(likely) and what APARM(7) was (only 0.0 causes assembly into an output
multi-source file).