[daip] [!8548]: AIPS - About sign flip of the phases of visibility ratios 'LR/LL', 'RL/RR', etc, in VPLOT.

JongHo Park noreply at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 14 04:21:03 EDT 2016

JongHo Park updated #8548
-------------------------

About sign flip of the phases of visibility ratios 'LR/LL', 'RL/RR', etc, in VPLOT.

           Ticket ID: 8548
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 14 June 2016 08:21 AM
             Updated: 14 June 2016 08:21 AM
                 Due: 16 June 2016 08:21 AM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 22 June 2016 08:21 AM (8d 0h 0m)

Hi,

I realized that in VPLOT, the sign of the visibility phases of stokes 'LR' is inverse of those of visibility ratio 'LR/LL' even though my target is core-dominated source, i.e., the phases of 'LL' is almost zero.

I checked for other visibility ratios such as 'RL' versus 'RL/RR' and found similar results.

I attached an example showing the phase of LR and LR/LL.

Could you tell me if it is due to some errors in AIPS or I'm missing something in the calculation of complex numbers?

If there is some problems in AIPS, does it affect D-terms we measure in LPCAL? because we use visibility ratios in the complex plane to determine D-terms.

Best Regards,

Jongho Park (at Seoul National University)

Staff CP:  https://help.nrao.edu/staff