[daip] [!8707]: AIPS - Can IMEAN ‘histogram’ RMS be written into ACTNOISE?

Eric Greisen noreply at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 20 17:41:09 EDT 2016

Eric Greisen updated #8707
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 22 July 2016 09:27 PM)

Can IMEAN ‘histogram’ RMS be written into ACTNOISE?

           Ticket ID: 8707
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 20 July 2016 09:27 PM
             Updated: 20 July 2016 09:41 PM
      Resolution Due: 28 July 2016 09:27 PM (7d 23h 46m)

I do not know why you are having trouble with PUTHEAD.
keyword='actnoise'; keyv=0; keyt='r'; puth
will work (I just did it).  Of course if you do not run IMEAN with DOCAT>0
then there is no ACTNOISE in your headers to start with.

IMEAN does write into the header the real noise found by fitting the
histogram (again I just ran it to see for sure).  IMSTAT would be the
culprit in having the "noise" jacked up by real sources.  IMEAN also
computes the rms as IMSTAT does but it knows better than to believe
it.