[daip] VLBACALA and ACSCL

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 18 16:24:50 EDT 2016

On 07/28/2015 02:32 PM, R. Craig Walker wrote:
> If you run ACSCL after APCAL, it undoes the APCAL calibration, since it is
> trying to make the calibrated autocorrelation coefficients unity in the
> designated channel range.  Therefore, it must be run before APCAL.  But it
> also must be run after ACCOR and after the derivation of the bandpass.
> Therefore it must be run between the two major components of VLBACALA.  I
> suggest that VLBACALA be broken into two procs, one for ACCOR and one for
> APCAL.  In fact, my latest HYB.001 has such procs defined.
>
> I would appreciate having those two split for other reasons.  Mainly, I
> find I often have to iterate and experiment to get APCAL with opacity
> fitting to work.  I'd rather have ACCOR behind me at the point and not
> have to either keep redoing it, or have to keep setting up APCAL and CLCAL
> without the help of the procs.

Your suggestion was implemented by Amy in November 2015.

14735.  November 20, 2015      VLBARUN, VLBAUTIL          Amy
         Incorporate new amp cal scheme described in VLBA Scientific
         Memo #37 (Craig Walker), which changes to VLBARUN and VLBAUTIL.
         Changes to VLBAUTIL:
           1) new proc VLBACCOR - runs ACCOR, SNSMO and CLCAL
           2) new proc VLBABPSS - runs BPASS, ACSCL, SNSM0 and CLCAL
           3) new proc VLBAAMP  - runs APCAL and CLCAL
           4) added message to VLBACALA saying you shouldn't use this.
         Changes to VLBARUN:
           1) remove VLBACALA
           2) replace VLBACALA and change order of calibration to:
                 - VLBACCOR -- digital sampling corrections
                 - VLBAMPCL (or VLBAPCOR) -- remove instrumental delay
                 - VLBABPSS -- do bandpass and correct auto-correlations
                 - VLBAAMP -- a priori amplitude calibration
           3) not related to amplitude calibration, improved several
              things about how the images were produced (e.g. auto-boxing
              was not set up properly).
           4) not related to amplitude calibration, fixed adding images/
              uvplots to .html file.
           5) not related to amplitude calibration, added the ability to
              correct data with a DELZN produced file.
          Help files:
           1) added warning to VLBACALA help file that it should not be
              used.
           2) added new procs to VLBAUTIL help file
         Moved nowhere.

Eric