[daip] [!8656]: AIPS - 16DEC31 imagr bug?

Kelley Hess noreply at nrao.edu
Sun Jul 10 10:41:14 EDT 2016

Kelley Hess updated #8656
-------------------------

16DEC31 imagr bug?
------------------

           Ticket ID: 8656
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 10 July 2016 02:41 PM
             Updated: 10 July 2016 02:41 PM
                 Due: 13 July 2016 12:00 AM (2d 9h 19m)
      Resolution Due: 19 July 2016 12:00 AM (8d 9h 19m)

Hi Eric,

A student I am working with has successfully calibrated and imaged HI spectral line data of a nearby galaxy in AIPS.  It's the GMRT data that I sent a helpdesk ticket about a few months ago.  The student took the data back to her home institution where the systems administrator had installed 16DEC31 on the local cluster sometime in March.  I'm not sure if he instituted the midnight job, but I suspect not.  Now we have noticed that when she tries to clean the image in imagr, the task returns something that looks more like the residual image than the cleaned image because the galaxy is gone.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Any chance it has been fixed?  Any diagnostics I can send you to find out what is happening?  I'm trying various work arounds, including imaging the calibrated data set in CASA, but it turns out that CASA returns an image which is complete gibberish--the noise is approximately right, but there is no galaxy and the structure of the noise is completely different.  (The GMRT folk are already very aware that CASA does not produce images of the same quality as AIPS when it comes to data from their telescope.)  In the meantime, I am planning to copy the data to my laptop where I just installed the 15DEC31 binary, and trying to clean it there.

Let me know what you think, and I can tell the sys admin to either update the current install or go back to 15DEC31.

Thanks so much in advance,
Kelley