[daip] [!8629]: AIPS - AIPS hardware/software/installation

Eric Greisen noreply at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 5 17:37:29 EDT 2016

Eric Greisen updated #8629
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 07 July 2016 08:27 PM)

AIPS hardware/software/installation
-----------------------------------

           Ticket ID: 8629
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 05 July 2016 08:27 PM
             Updated: 05 July 2016 09:37 PM

1. The machine you propose sounds quite adequate if not more than you might need.

2. I know less about OS versions, AIPS runs on most every version of Linux (it is not
limited in that way like CASA)  If RHEL 6.6 looks workable to you go for it.  many smaller
sites use Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux.  It does not seem to matter to AIPS much.

3. We last shipped a DVD (CDs are too small) to a poor fellow in Algeria several years
ago.  The networks are pretty good these days so a Binary installation usually runs quite
quickly over the net.  The AIPS installation is pretty simple and has a lot of supporting
documentation so you should be able to manage.