[daip] [!8629]: AIPS - AIPS hardware/software/installation

Robert Gray noreply at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 5 16:27:47 EDT 2016

Robert Gray updated #8629
-------------------------

AIPS hardware/software/installation
-----------------------------------

           Ticket ID: 8629
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 05 July 2016 08:27 PM
             Updated: 05 July 2016 08:27 PM
                 Due: 07 July 2016 08:27 PM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 13 July 2016 08:27 PM (8d 0h 0m)

Hi!

I’m about to have a machine built to run AIPS on VLA data and likely image cubes from other sources like Miriad.  Would you advise me on a few questions?   I don’t have much experience with Linux, so I hope to make things as simple as I can...

1.  Is a 64 GB memory 8-core machine with 1 TB SSD plausible for big jobs, such as IMAGR on 8192 channel 2048x2048 images (which takes 16 hours on the Socorro Lustre machine)?

2.  Is RHEL 6.6 Linux the most appropriate OS from a support perspective?  Drew Medlin said it was supported for CASA a year ago...

3.  The AIPS installation page (http://www.aips.nrao.edu/install.shtml) mentions a CD binary distribution and having a physical CD would be attractive.  Is a CD available, or does that just refer to a tarball download?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated!  Including, that somebody builds these things and they run AIPS right out of the box...

Thanks,

Bob Gray