[daip] [!7503]: AIPS - Odd Amplitude Pattern for MK Baselines

Amy Mioduszewski do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 28 17:17:10 EDT 2015

Amy Mioduszewski updated #7503
------------------------------

                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 30 October 2015 12:42 PM)

Odd Amplitude Pattern for MK Baselines
--------------------------------------

           Ticket ID: 7503
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 28 October 2015 10:28 AM
             Updated: 28 October 2015 02:17 PM
      Resolution Due: 05 November 2015 10:28 AM (7d 20h 11m)

Hi Alexandra,

Yea, second from the bottom is phase, you can switch it to showing mostly phases by clicking the "SHOW PHASE" button (right menu).  EDITR defaults to show you the amplitude and phase of the baseline you are editing (the yellow plots) the green plots are the amplitude for other baselines to the same antenna.  You can flag all the baselines to an antenna if EDITR is set too "DO ONE ANTENNA" (bottom left hand corner of the TV), but if you select DO ONE BASELINE (you select this by clicking "ROTATE ALL ANT" in the right menu, the yellow plotted  baseline would be the one you were flagging.

As for the phases changing rapidly it really depends on the frequency, baseline length and if you've done any calibration. I looked up your observation and it looks like X-band, so I would say it looks fine for a long baselines and all baselines to MK are long.  The shorter baselines should move more slowly.  After you fringe fit, the phases should be near zero unless you have a lot of source structure.

Another hint for EDITR, if you set CROWDED=1 it will plot all the POLARIZATIONS/IFS on top of each other for a baseline, you will have to switch to a single POL/IF (NEXT POL/IF upper right hand menu) if you only want to edit a single POL/IF.  But for X-band were everything is mostly going to look good, it is much faster if you can just go through all the antennas once.

Feel free to send me questions, I wrote a lot of the VLBA reduction scripts and documentation (not chapter 9 but appendix C).  Are  you going to try VLBARUN?  which is my newish pipeline script for VLBA data.

Amy Mioduszewski
NRAO