[daip] [!7461]: AIPS - uvfits filler for large arrays

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Sun Oct 25 16:46:23 EDT 2015

Eric Greisen updated #7461
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 27 October 2015 04:27 PM)

uvfits filler for large arrays
------------------------------

           Ticket ID: 7461
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 21 October 2015 12:06 AM
             Updated: 25 October 2015 08:46 PM
      Resolution Due: 02 November 2015 04:27 PM (7d 19h 41m)

The FITS IDI format specifies that the antenna pair be given as
 256 * any1 + ant2 so FITS IDI cannot handle larger arrays.  The
new version of the FITS reader in AIPS (FITLD) takes the old form
of baseline (in FITS IDI and in AIPS FITS) and writes the multiple
parameter form internally.

I guess we could experiment with a FITS IDI that also wrote ANTENNA1
and ANTENNA2 random parameters rather than BASELINE.  That form
has not been defined or implemented anywhere that I know of.