[daip] Query about AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:24:16 EDT 2015

On 10/05/2015 10:56 PM, ABINASH KUMAR SHAW wrote:
> My first problem is that I am in a proxied network of my institute. So
> If it is needed connect to your ftp network it does not. What to do with
> that and another question is that is gcc-4.8.4 version is compatible to
> 31DEC15 version of AIPS?

I do not know what "proxied" network means.  If you cannot ftp from our
web site you cannot get our code at all and this discussion is
meaningless.  The binary installation requires that you can use rsync to
download the AIPS binary files - one can usually arrange to be allowed
to do this.

I have recently worked on the AIPS code to allow it to be compiled
locally.  I have tested gfortran 4.4.7, 4.8.3, 4.9.2, and 5.1.0 and they
all work.  The latter require changes to $INC/PAPC.INC and to a few of
the compile procs before doing the compilation.  Unfortunately, I have
an experienced user with 4.8.4 and he found that OMFIT at least did not
work with that compiler (it works with all I could try).  OMFIT is not a
task used by most aips users so, if this is the only issue with 4.8.4,
you could use that compiler.