[daip] [!6280]: AIPS - Dispersive delay fitting in AIPS

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu May 7 13:34:28 EDT 2015

Eric Greisen updated #6280
--------------------------

                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 08 May 2015 08:05 PM)

Dispersive delay fitting in AIPS
--------------------------------

           Ticket ID: 6280

I have been confused about FRING since I have worked on certain very
limited aspects much more than the rest.  I now think MBDLY does try
to do the right thing with the multi-band delay and am writing a
parallel routine to try to do the same with both MB delay and dispersion.
I will need data to test this and none of our simulators will work for
this at present.  I suspect that MBDLY should work on FRING output
after PCCOR takes out the peculiar phases and not before.

I am concerned - in reading about MBDLY I found a CHANGE.DOC entry
from Ketan that claimed his KRING worked in numerous test cases
where MBDLY failed to get the right answer.  The phase wrap ambiguity issues
are pretty severe, so I am not surprised by this.  In principle, KRING already
solves for dispersion if asked (but currently makes SB delays to simulate it).

Eric