[daip] AIPS text version woes

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 30 11:31:03 EDT 2015

On 07/17/2015 04:00 PM, Michael Bietenholz wrote:
> THere is an compiler option for gfortran, -fno-automatic
>
>        -fno-automatic
>             Treat each program unit (except those marked as RECURSIVE)
> as if
>             the "SAVE" statement were specified for every local variable
> and
>             array referenced in it. Does not affect common blocks. (Some
>             Fortran compilers provide this option under the name -static or
>             -save.)  The default, which is -fautomatic, uses the stack for
>             local variables smaller than the value given by
>             -fmax-stack-var-size.  Use the option -frecursive to use no
> static
>             memory.
>
> Does that do what you want?

The version of gfortran that comes with RedHat 6 (4.4.7) does not honor
this.  I would swear that Y2K worked with 4.4.7 at some point but it
does not do so now.  Presumably there are many unSAVEd variables hidden
away.

In desperation I tried 4.8.3 which we have.  I established previously
that this compiler cannot do dynamic allocation of the pseudo-AP and
needs to back off on APCLN optimization.  But apparently it does work
otherwise including honoring -fno-automatic (I did my UVMOD test)
although none of the help information will admit to this option.  I
replaced -Wall with -Wunused to stop it from complaining every time we write
   I = X + 0.1
-Wuninitialized does not seem to do anything even if I omit -fno-automatic.

We have 4.9.2 and 5.1.0 - maybe I should try those while I am at it.

Cheers