[daip] [!7748]: AIPS - Wrong definition of position angle in IRING

Luis Rodriguez do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Sat Dec 19 16:15:14 EST 2015

Luis Rodriguez updated #7748
----------------------------

Wrong definition of position angle in IRING

           Ticket ID: 7748
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 19 December 2015 09:15 PM
             Updated: 19 December 2015 09:15 PM
                 Due: 23 December 2015 12:00 AM (3d 2h 45m)
      Resolution Due: 30 December 2015 12:00 AM (10d 2h 45m)

Hello: I have been using the task IRING in AIPS.

When you want to integrate a source in concentric annulli, if the source is elliptical, you have to give
the position angle, APARM(3), among other things.

I have been doing some tests and the position angle in IRING seems to be defined with the 0 towards the east and
increasing clockwise (when the usual definition is with the 0 towards the north and increasing counterclockwise).
This problem is present in older versions of AIPS and in the latest 31DEC16 version.

Please let me know if this is the case and if I can send you more specific information.

Regards, Luis.