[daip] Cannot write files on my working disk.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 7 15:27:03 EDT 2015

On 08/07/2015 09:35 AM, R. Craig Walker wrote:
> I have a portable disk that I have been using on my Macbook Pro laptop for
> the last couple of weeks.  It contains 2 AIPS directories with a lot of
> data.  Prior to the last couple of weeks, I was using the disk on my Mac
> Pro tower at home and it was working fine.  When I first attached it to my
> tower after the use on the laptop, when I tried an operation that wants to
> write something I got error messages.  I have tried TACOP and UVCOP.  The
> UVCOP works if I write to one of my internal disks.  I stopped AIPS and
> ran a midnight job, then restarted AIPS.  Same problem.  I then stopped
> AIPS and changed cables.  When AIPS restarted, it works.  I then tried the
> original cable again, and that works ok now.  So I'm confused.  Was there
> some change in AIPS that required exiting with the new version and
> reentering to fix the files?  It is likely that I had done a midnight job
> more recently on the laptop (during the last week or so) than on the
> tower.
>

> Here is the message when running UVCOP to the external:
>
>> go uvcop
> UVCOP1: Task UVCOP  (release of 31DEC15) begins
> AIPS 1: Resumes
>> UVCOP1: ZOPEN: FILE DA06:CAD000000.0DH;      NOT FOUND
> UVCOP1: ZCREA2: CREATE ERROR = 22
> UVCOP1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA05:CBD040001.0DH;
> UVCOP1: ZERROR: IN ZCREA2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> UVCOP1: CATDIR: UNABLE TO CREATE HEADER FILE, ERROR    4
> UVCOP1: ERROR  6 CREATING OUTPUT FILE
> UVCOP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> UVCOP1: localhost    31DEC15 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
>
> CBD040001.0DH; is indeed not present, even though user 485 is where I
> was working all last week.
>
> I did try a TACOP under a different user - 604 with the following result:
>> go tacop
> TACOP1: Task TACOP  (release of 31DEC15) begins
> AIPS 1: Resumes
>> TACOP1: ZCREA2: CREATE ERROR = 22
> TACOP1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA05:CCD00C002.0GS;
> TACOP1: ZERROR: IN ZCREA2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> TACOP1: TABINI: ERROR  4 CREATING FILE CC NO   2
> TACOP1: TBLCOP ERROR   4 DOING OPEN NEW VERSION   2
> TACOP1: TBLCOP ERROR    4 COPYING EXT FILE CC    1
> TACOP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> TACOP1: localhost    31DEC15 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
>
> I'm ok now, but wonder if a recent update has cause an issue for people
> using a portable drive on more than one computer with slightly different
> update versions of AIPS.

there is nothing in AIPS that knows about "portable" drives - whatever
is connected and pointed at with env variables is used.  The error could
come from the C open or the file locking or even the filling with zeros.
  I suspect that your system changed the remote disk to read only or
otherwise reset its access and that the changing of cables restet it again.