[daip] Cannot write files on my working disk.

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 7 11:35:28 EDT 2015

I have a portable disk that I have been using on my Macbook Pro laptop for
the last couple of weeks.  It contains 2 AIPS directories with a lot of
data.  Prior to the last couple of weeks, I was using the disk on my Mac
Pro tower at home and it was working fine.  When I first attached it to my
tower after the use on the laptop, when I tried an operation that wants to
write something I got error messages.  I have tried TACOP and UVCOP.  The
UVCOP works if I write to one of my internal disks.  I stopped AIPS and
ran a midnight job, then restarted AIPS.  Same problem.  I then stopped
AIPS and changed cables.  When AIPS restarted, it works.  I then tried the
original cable again, and that works ok now.  So I'm confused.  Was there
some change in AIPS that required exiting with the new version and
reentering to fix the files?  It is likely that I had done a midnight job
more recently on the laptop (during the last week or so) than on the
tower.

Here is the message when running UVCOP to the external:

>go uvcop
UVCOP1: Task UVCOP  (release of 31DEC15) begins
AIPS 1: Resumes
>UVCOP1: ZOPEN: FILE DA06:CAD000000.0DH;      NOT FOUND
UVCOP1: ZCREA2: CREATE ERROR = 22
UVCOP1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA05:CBD040001.0DH;
UVCOP1: ZERROR: IN ZCREA2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
UVCOP1: CATDIR: UNABLE TO CREATE HEADER FILE, ERROR    4
UVCOP1: ERROR  6 CREATING OUTPUT FILE
UVCOP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
UVCOP1: localhost    31DEC15 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

CBD040001.0DH; is indeed not present, even though user 485 is where I
was working all last week.

I did try a TACOP under a different user - 604 with the following result:
>go tacop
TACOP1: Task TACOP  (release of 31DEC15) begins
AIPS 1: Resumes
>TACOP1: ZCREA2: CREATE ERROR = 22
TACOP1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA05:CCD00C002.0GS;
TACOP1: ZERROR: IN ZCREA2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
TACOP1: TABINI: ERROR  4 CREATING FILE CC NO   2
TACOP1: TBLCOP ERROR   4 DOING OPEN NEW VERSION   2
TACOP1: TBLCOP ERROR    4 COPYING EXT FILE CC    1
TACOP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
TACOP1: localhost    31DEC15 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

I'm ok now, but wonder if a recent update has cause an issue for people
using a portable drive on more than one computer with slightly different
update versions of AIPS.

Cheers,

Craig

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA