[daip] CLCOR gain curves.

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:12:38 EDT 2014

This is a suggestion (previously made orally) to make it clear in the
DAIP help file that the gain curve invoked by OPCODE='GAIN' is a voltage
gain.  It directly multiplies the CL entries.  Most gain curves
distributed by observatories, I suspect, are power gains.  That is
certainly true for the VLBA.  Thus someone trying to apply such a curve
has to be careful.  In fact, the concept of taking the square root of a
polynomial is sufficiently messy that it would be useful to have a
separate OPCODE for power gains.

Note that OPCODE='GAIN' is also, as far as I can tell, the easiest
option to use if you just want to scale your data by a constant.  I ran
into the voltage vs power issue when I tried to do that to compensate
for some other calibration issues.

Cheers,

Craig

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA