[daip] [!5721]: aips - TV not showing on high-res screens

Ilse M van Bemmel do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 30 09:07:12 EDT 2014

Ilse M van Bemmel updated #5721
-------------------------------

TV not showing on high-res screens
----------------------------------

           Ticket ID: 5721
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 30 October 2014 01:07 PM
             Updated: 30 October 2014 01:07 PM
                 Due: 03 November 2014 01:07 PM (4d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 07 November 2014 01:07 PM (8d 0h 0m)

Hi,

I've just received my new MacBook Pro with retina display and high resolution monitor. I've installed AIPS under the new Yosemite, and everything goes well, but I cannot get my TV to work. With my 2010 MacBook it would not open on the monitor, but it worked fine on the laptop screen. I would start AIPS with the laptop open until all windows appeard, and closing the screen would then pop-up everything on my monitor. This work around fails now. Is this an issue with the screen resolution, or is it more likely that the MacOS Yosemite gives problems?

I verified that the system is 24 bits, which seems to be the case. From xdpyinfo I get:
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes

I also adjusted the sysctl.conf and services files according to the website:
kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.sysv.shmall=4096

When I launch AIPS, the TeKserver and message server pop up, and I get the following messages:
> aips tv=local
START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name XEROX-WC7435-ICT, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.018
  (Using global default file /Users/bemmel/Software/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/bemmel/Software/AIPS/DATA/BEMBOOK_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on bembook asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on BEMBOOK asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC14 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC14) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.018
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on bembook
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on bembook, DISPLAY /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.c4JbrFF2O0/org.macosforge.xquartz:0
/Users/bemmel/Software/AIPS/31DEC14/SYSTEM/UNIX/UNIXSERVERS: line 255: ./XAS1: Permission denied
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on bembook, display /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.c4JbrFF2O0/org.macosforge.xquartz:0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on bembook, display /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.c4JbrFF2O0/org.macosforge.xquartz:0
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Please let me know if there is a fix for this, or if you need additional information from me to diagnose the problem.

Kind regards,
Ilse van Bemmel