[daip] [!4920]: aips - XGAUS

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed May 28 17:31:37 EDT 2014

Eric Greisen updated #4920
--------------------------

                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 31 May 2014 12:00 AM)

XGAUS
-----

           Ticket ID: 4920
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 13 May 2014 11:06 PM
             Updated: 28 May 2014 09:31 PM
      Resolution Due: 26 May 2014 09:28 PM

1. I agree on the HAND thing and have coded it to offer the choice
right after a HAND usage to DO FIT.  Normally that menu will not show
DO FIT (or mention such a question in terminal mode) but it does
immediately after HAND.

2. There was code in the old days to hold something fixed but I
sincerely doubt that one would want to hold a component fixed
over an entire source region.  It complicated the code quite a
lot and the inputs and prevented a scheme to get better initial
guesses from a mix of previous solution and present data.

3. The fit is in pixels but the output images are in physical coordinates.
The current solution is shown on your terminal in the units that are
used for the fit.  I get HAND values by reading those.  BTW - I find it
better to run XGAUS with velocity units for the spectral axis.  Frequency
has the problem of a very large central value with not much increment
making the center frequency images problematic (lower accuracy).

I guess the HAND fix will come across in tonight's MNJ.

Eric