[daip] [!4879]: aips - CALIB & DOFIT - strange behaviour of REFANT is included in DOFIT

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed May 7 10:43:07 EDT 2014

Eric Greisen updated #4879
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 08 May 2014 01:28 PM)

CALIB & DOFIT - strange behaviour of REFANT is included in DOFIT

           Ticket ID: 4879
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 06 May 2014 01:28 PM
             Updated: 07 May 2014 02:43 PM

I was not familiar with the DOFIT option so I read the CALIB help
file and it said to read the DOFIT help file which I also did.  These 2
help files promise that you will get bad results if you put REFANT
in the DOFIT list.  What is there about that promise that was not
met?

The whole concept has to do with extending good solutions on
reliable antennas to try to calibrate less reliable ones using all
data to the latter.  Clearly, the REFANT cannot change after the
first set and therefore REFANT is in the list of good antennas
not the list of poor antennas.

I will take a look at the programs that use this option and change
them to die when REFANT is not specified or is included in the
DOFIT list.  I choose "die" over clean up since such usage indicates
a serious lack of understanding of DOFIT.