[daip] [!4643]: aips - Spectral Line Analysis

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 7 15:32:08 EST 2014

Eric Greisen updated #4643
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 11 March 2014 07:50 PM)

Spectral Line Analysis
----------------------

           Ticket ID: 4643
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 07 March 2014 07:50 PM
             Updated: 07 March 2014 08:32 PM
      Resolution Due: 17 March 2014 07:50 PM (9d 23h 18m)

What do you mean by "spectral-line analysis"?

For spectral-line cubes, you can do Gaussian fitting with
XGAUS.  For Zeeman-splitting, you can follow XGAUS with
ZEMAN.   To make moment images there are XMOM and MOMNT.
GAL can fit rotation curves to these for HI galaxies.   WARP fits
warped galaxies.  CUBIT does advanced model fitting to galaxy
cubes.  IRING can integrate in ovals.

The JVLA makes "spectral" cubes even of continuum-type sources.
Polarization rotation measures are analyzed with FARS (plus AFARS etc)
and the RMFIT.

There are Gaussian fitting tasks IMFIT. JMFIT, and SAD.

And much more - I need to know what you need.  And I only speak for
me/AIPS not for "NRAO" anyway.  If you asked management they
would point you at CASA - although I suspect that CASA is way more
deficient in analysis tasks than AIPS.