[daip] [!4250]: aips - Writing FITS IDI with AIPS

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 14 19:44:04 EST 2014

Eric Greisen updated #4250
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 17 January 2014 07:39 PM)

Writing FITS IDI with AIPS
--------------------------

           Ticket ID: 4250
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 14 January 2014 07:39 PM
             Updated: 15 January 2014 12:44 AM

FITS IDI was really intended for the output of correlators.  It could
be used for later stages but that was not the original intent.  In fact
until recently it really could not be used for processed data - but
now there are special keywords that allow the weights to be real
data weights rather than the fraction of the integration time that
was actually used for the particular sample.

You are correct that AIPS does not write FITS IDI.  The FITAB output
has many of the advantages of IDI, but without having to revise the
data formats inside AIPS back into that convention.

I suppose, if I thought that various other packages could really read
FITS IDI and not other things the I could be talked into writing such
a task, but I am inclined not to.